Green IT Tips and Tools
Tips for Eco-Friendly Printing
- Communicate by email instead of paper.
- Print and photocopy documents double sided (duplex) which saves you time, space, money and costs and wastage.
- Duplex printing helps you save money on printing supplies by cutting your paper use by up to 50%. Please use the KYOCERA Duplex Calculator to find out how many trees you can save.
- Don’t overprint documents. Take care to calculate how many copies you really need to cut down on wastage.
- Use proof and hold to ensure a document is correct before printing a long print run.
- Ensure your electrical equipment is Energy Star compliant.
- Ensure photocopiers, multifunctional products and printers are switched off when you are not using it or when you are leaving the office.
- Set your printer or copier’s sleep mode default times to the lowest available setting that is convenient for your needs, i.e. so when it is not actually printing or copying the energy consumption is minimal.
- Ensure proper maintenance of office equipment to enable them to work more efficiently
- Use non-chlorine bleached environmentally responsible paper or 100% recycled paper e.g EVOLVE for all your printing
- Identify a paper collection point in the office for recycling bins to dispose of waste paper
- Before you print, think about whether you really need a printed copy.
- Turn off the printer when you’re not using it and at the end of the working day.
- Powering down your office equipment has the additional benefits of reduced noise and heat.
- Adjust your margins and type size to fit more on the page.
- Use ECO Toner for draft documents to reduce the amound of toner used.
- Use proof and hold to ensure a document is correct before printing a long print run
Tips when buying new printers
- It is recommended to analyse your needs prior to purchase and calculate the most cost efficient purchase which provides the minimum impact on the environment. Here you can also use the easy to use calculator KYOCERA Printer Economy Check (PEC) which helps you to find the correct device according to your requirements. Additionally, it also compares KYOCERA products to the competitors' products and clearly shows your savings when you decide for KYOCERA products.
- General Office equipment spends significant time consuming energy while waiting to perform a task. Using energy as efficiently as possible during this period is crucial to keeping energy use and costs to a minimum.
- Products with long-life components and higher toner yields will generate significantly less waste over the life of your product.
- Be informed, some printer process units take over 900 years to break down in landfill. If your supplier cannot provide this information find another supplier who can.
- Some printers today are ozone free, ask your supplier about Ozone emissions.
- Ask your supplier if the printer, MFD or opier is compliant to the RoHS standard?
- Ask your supplier what do they do with all the packaging, are they compliant to the
ENERGY STAR products are capable of enabling energy saving features to reduce how much power is used during periods of inactivity. Enabling this feature is important to running office equipment as efficiently as possible. Step by step instructions explaining how to enable ENERGY STAR features on most common types of computers and external modems are found at www.energystar.gov.au/consumers/stepbystep.html
If you can’t enable ENERGY STAR on your equipment, an alternative energy-saving software product called Energy Management Option, EMO, is available. This software can switch off your computer when you’re not using it and shut it down at night. It also provides calculations on energy, cost and greenhouse gas emissions savings which are useful details to include in your business’s energy audits and reports.
- Inkjet or modern dot matrix printers whilst they are generally cheaper to buy, are slower than laser printers and significantly more expensive to run, generating greater waste with low toner yields. It is recommended to analyse your needs prior to purchase and calculate the most cost efficient purchase which provides the minimum impact on the environment.
- Be informed, some Printer process units take over 900 years to break down in landfill. If your supplier cannot provide this information find another supplier who can.
- Inkjet printers whilst they are generally cheaper to buy, are slower than laser printers and significantly more expensive to run, generating greater waste with low toner yields.
Laser printers, multifunctional devices use similar technology to copiers, so their energy consumption is similar to that of small copiers.
- If you are buying a printer, multifcuntional device, or copier ask your supplier about waste, takeback programs, what are the Preventative maintenance cycles, how often do you have to replace a drum? Products with long-life components and higher toner yields will generate significantly less waste over the life of your product.
- If you need toner, please make sure that you buy original KYOCERA toner. They save the environment, your money and the health of your staff and your devices. For more, please read the toner brochure on the right.
KYOCERA Duplex Calculator
With this KYOCERA "Duplex or Savings Calculator" you can find out how many trees you can save by simply duplex printing!Calculate how many trees you can save!
Green Office Guide
- Green Office Guide by KYOCERA Document Solutions UK (1,507.9 kB)
KYOCERA Toner Brochure
How original toners save the health of your staff and the health of your devices.
- KYOCERA Toner Brochure (4,820.5 kB)